We were thrilled that over 90 students joined our Rhode Island Teen Book Award Book Club. That represents about 25% of the whole school! Members of the club read at least 3 books from the 2011 RI Teen Book Award list and participated in a variety of engaging book-related activities The Book Club far exceeded our expectations in engaging our young adults with good books and fun activities involving reading and sharing. We tried to integrate as much innovative technology as we could into our activities. We were immensely pleased with the turnout and the lively enthusiasm that greeted us at each meeting.
Here are some of the activities that we did:
- Every member joined our wiki at www.colereaders.wikispaces.com where they posted questions and comments about the books and got involved in online discussions with each other.
- Members worked together to create posters about their favorite books using www.wordle.net which allows users to generate colorful descriptive word patterns.
- Members took electronic quizzes on each book read as part of our Reading Counts reading incentive program.
- We used the electronic student response devices with the Promethean Active Board to take a group quiz about the books on the list.
- Several members rated books and wrote review s for the statewide electronic card catalog at www.ricat.net.
- We conducted a “Speed Booking” activity where members had 30 seconds to share a book they had read. This fun activity led students to books that other students had enjoyed.
- All members voted to help select the 2011 RI Teen Book Award book which was Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- We had a special Graceling party to celebrate the winning book. Since Graceling is based on special characters endowed with “graces,” students were able to take an online quiz to determine what grace they had.We also gave special prizes to all the students who correctly predicted the winning book.
Here are a few comments about Book Club from some members:
“With the Book Club, I read a lot of books that I would not normally have read and I enjoyed them.”
“It was really interesting to hear what other people thought about the books that I read.”
“I had to miss the last meeting and I was really madbecause book club was such fun.“
“This was my first book club and I never thought it would be so much fun. I loved all the activities, especially using the Promethean Board!”